To the right, is an image of the
family tree which begins with
Zacharias OPPENHEIMER in
1827 and goes up to 1885.
David E. OPPENHEIMER
DEOPPY at aol.com
has a 8x10" color negative of this
If you are interested in a beautiful 24x26"
reproduction. Please contact him. If enough people are interested
the cost will be around $65. (Phone: 561-392-8742,
Mail: 2707 N. Ocean Blvd, Boca Raton, FL 33431.)
Also, thanks to Helen NESTOR (d. 2008) mother of
Ron NESTOR email@example.com
for information on this branch of the family.
(b. 1 October 1773 Michelfeld, Baden, Germany, d. 24 February
married cousin Fratel
OPPENHEIMER (b. 6 November 1771 Hoffenheim,
d. 11 December 1842 Michelfeld).
Zacharias founded the woolen cloth factory
in Michelfeld. The factory specialized in the production of uniforms, including those used by the Prussian and Baden military.
By a constitutional edict became
a town citizen, thereby
gaining all the civil rights, an exception among Jews.
By 1890 they had over 550
children, grandchildren, and a few great
- Liebman OPPENHEIMER (b. 10 August 1796, d. 29 October 1858 Michelfeld, Germany,
buried Grave #218 in Waibstadt) married 1788
Adelheid LOEB (b. 6 Sep. 1788, d. 26 February 1857).
They have 9 children.
- Salomon OPPENHEIMER (b. 20 November 1825, d. 20 November 1890) married
(10 August 1862)
Fannie SCHEUR (b. 14 February 1842)
- Max OPPENHEIMER (b. 15 April 1869 Michelfeld) married (11 June 1876 Baltimore)
Ray ADLER (b. 1873 Missouri)
- Rita Ann OPPENHEIMER (b. 1898, d. around 1956) married
(11 February 1935 Hotel Esplanade New York City)
Robert L. OBER (d. 1973 Miami). He was a mechanical engineer,
inventor, and entrepreneur in New
York and after service in the Navy in World War I returned to New York City where he invented
various auto parts among other activities. He and Rita Oppenheimer were
childhood sweethearts, having met at the Ethical Culture School in New York
(also attended by
J. Robert OPPENHEIMER.)
They had no children. Rita died of a stroke,
after an extended hospitalization. Bob later moved to Miami, where he lived
until his death.
Contact: Robert's brother's grandson Richard C. KLEINBERG richard at prozzorp.com
- Samuel Philip OPPENHEIMER (b. 18 March 1903 New York City, d. 15 May 1982 West Orange,
Essex County, New Jersey), civil engineer for the Holland Tunnel (New York City)
first married (9 Oct. 1934)
Mary Francis BAMBERGER (d. May 1938).
Samuel OPPENHEIMER remarried Lucille SONN
(b. 26 February 1908, d. 25 March 1991)
- Ruth Alice OPPENHEIMER (b. 3 May 1937, d. 20 March 1977)
married Jeffrey David OSHLAG.
Jeffrey is an attorney and lives in Batavia, New York.
- David A. OSHLAG
DAVEDORIO at aol.com
married Doreen SHERMAN.
David is an independent consultant and creator of
They live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Children: Samuel OSHLAG (b. 16 Dec. 1989),
Nathan (b. 28 Mar. 1993) and Ruth OSHLAG (b. 21 Oct. 1996).
Thanks to Doreen for information about this branch of the family tree.
- Jordan A. OSHLAG (lives in Sudbury, Massachusetts)
- Caroline OPPENHEIMER (b. 20 April 1915, d. 2 April 1865) married (29 June 1836)
Joseph DREYFUSS (d. 11 February 1879)
- Simon OPPENHEIMER (b. 29 January 1797 Michelfeld, d. 4 April 1871 New York City)
immigrated 1849 to New York City, US citizen 24 Ocotber 1854. Married Rebecka HERZOG
(b. 18 July 1800 Michelfeld, d. 17 September 1881 New York City)
(great-great-great aunt and uncle of Helen NESTOR
(d. 2008) mother of Ron NESTOR
They had 19 children.
- Marx OPPENHEIMER (b. 1 March 1799 Michelfeld, d. 11 May 1873) married (21 July 1822)
Henriette MAYER (d. 29 November 1823).
Remarried Sarah WOLF (b. 1 July 1803, d. 29 March 1874).
They had 14 children including:
- Zacharias OPPENHEIMER (b. 1829 Michelfeld, d. 4 April 1832 Michelfeld)
- Seligmann OPPENHEIMER (b. 12 September 1830) married (13 June 1864)
- Julius S. OPPENHEIMER (b. 3 June 1865 New York City, d. 7 June 1948 New York City)
married Ida (d. before 1948).
- Walter J. OPPENHEIMER (b. around 1893)
- Robert J. OPPENHEIMER (b. around 1896).
- George S. OPPENHEIMER (b. around 1901)
- Henry S. OPPENHEIMER (b. 2 November 1866 New York City)
- Frances OPPENHEIMER (b. 27 June 1871 New York City)
- August OPPENHEIMER, Sr. (b. 22 July 1846 Germany),
immigrated US (31 July 1865)
married (2 May 1877) Frances MEYERS (b. 11 October 1857).
- Arthur Marx OPPENHEIMER (b. 18 February 1878 NY, d. 12 October 1878 NY)
- Agnes Bella OPPENHEIMER (b. 24 January 1879 NY)
- Elsie Sarah OPPENHEIMER (b. 28 December 1879 NY)
- George August OPPENHEIMER, Sr. (b. 13 April 1881 NY, d. 1954).
Changed name to George August OPPEN, Sr. in 1927.
Married Elsie ROTHFELD (b. 1883, d. 1912)
daughter of Bettie LESMAN (b. 1856, d. 1918)
and Sigmund ROTHFELD (b. 1844, d. 1907)
brother of Babette ROTHFELD
wife of Benjanmin Pinhas OPPENHEIMER,
parents of Julius S. OPPENHEIMER (b. 1871, d. 1937)
paternal grandfather of
J. Robert OPPENHEIMER
(b. 1904, d. 1967).
George OPPENHEIMER, Sr. remarried
Seville SHAINWALD (b. 1891, d. 1956)
following Elsie's death.
George August OPPENHEIMER, Jr.
(b. 1908, d. 1984)
married Mary COLBY (b. 1909, d. 1990).
Changed name to George August OPPEN, Jr. in 1927 when he father changed his.
George OPPEN won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1969.
Daughter: Linda OPPEN (b. 1940)
- Elizabeth OPPENHEIMER (b. 1906 or 1907, d. 1960)
married Michael HUGHES.
Children: Diane HUGHES married MEYER, and Andy HUGHES.
- June OPPEN (b. 1918, d. Sep. 2001 San Francisco, California,
married George DEGNAN. See collected
Daughter: Aubrey DEGNAN (b. 1940) firstname.lastname@example.org married SUTTER.
Aubrey has two children and four grandchildren.
- Helene Claire OPPENHEIMER (b. 6 September 1888 NY)
- Sigmund OPPENHEIMER (b. 1 June 1801 Michelfeld, Baden, Germany,
d. 31 May 1872 Michelfeld) married (5 March 1829 Bruchsal, recorded in Michelfeld)
(b. 1 November 1806 Karlsruhe,
d. 23 February 1862 Michelfeld).
- Ludwig (LOEW, LOB) OPPENHEIMER (b. 7 April 1802 or 1803 Michelfeld, Baden, Germany,
d. 22 October 1886)
married (6 June 1827) Lena HIRSCH (b. October 1804, d. 7 January 1891).
They had 11 children.
- Second child: Edward OPPENHEIMER
(b. 23 April 1830 Michelfeld, d. 6 December 1918 New York City)
married (21 March 1852 New York City) Gudel (Julia) DINKELSPIEL
(b. 19 February 1827 Michelfeld, d. 14 July 1866 New York City).
Gudel is the niece of Rebecka HERZOG and the great great aunt of
(d. 2008) mother of Ron NESTOR email@example.com
- Fifth child:
Henry OPPENHEIMER (b. 9 November 1836
Renate McVITTIE Red at McVittie.com for birth registration, d. 1911).
Henry married (4 July 1860) his cousin Rebecca OPPENHEIMER
(b. 10 July 1839).
- Ninth child: Fanny OPPENHEIMER (b. June 1844)
married Emile ESSLINGER
- Otto ESSLINGER m. Ida RHONHEIMER
- Ludwig ESSLINGER (d. killed by Nazis, 1943 Gurs,
- Fritz ESSLINGER (d. 1981 London) m. Lene LEVY (d. 1995 London, England)
- Anne ESSLINGER (London, England) m. Boaz SILVERMAN (d. 2000)
- Ruth SILVERMAN m. Robert KRAMER.
Daughters: Emily KRAMER and
- Robert SILVERMAN firstname.lastname@example.org
first married Yvette ROSENBERG???. Son: Jonah SILVERMAN.
Robert remarried Janet BRANDES (New York).
Children: Marlee SILVERMAN and Bradley SILVERMAN.
Thanks to Robert for information on this branch of the family tree.
Robert first married
- this branch is not visible on my copy of the fax
- Eric ESSLINGER (ELLIS) (d. 1990 London, England)
m. Margot WAGNER
- Karl ESSLINGER (d. 1936 Germany or d. 10 June 1942
Theresiestadt according to
- Margot Dora ESSLINGER
m. Edward BLOCH
- Irma ESSLINGER married in Israel to Ivri IVRI.
- Ramah IVRI
married Shalom ISRAELI (live on Kibbutz Ayelet Hashachar, IL),
- Leah IVRI married Didier ABACASSIS (live in Kiryat Shmona, IL),
didier at gadot.org.il,
- Yarif IVRI (deceased) married Marijka ???? , no children
- Anat IVRI married Valerie HILL
(live in Bandon, Co. Cork, Ireland), 3 children
- August OPPENHEIMER (b. 12 January 1807 Michelfeld, d. 27 April 1887) married (1834)
Sarah AUERBACH (b. 3 May 1812).
They had 5 children.
Contact: Descendent Margo LOCKE.
- Berthold Baruch OPPENHEIMER (b. 4 July 1834 Germany,
d. 16 Aug. 1925 Springfield, Massachusettes) married
Adelaide S. ROBERTS (b. 16 May 1837 Granville, Mass.)
- Berthold August OPPENHEIMER (b. 15 Apr. 1872 Syracuse, New York)
m. Lettie M. BRIDGE (b. Jun. 1874, d. 21 Dec. 1937)
- Richard James OPPENHEIMER (b. 22 Apr. 1897 Springfield, Mass.)
married Luella May WRIGHT
(b. 23 Apr. 1897, d. 26 Jun 1966 Chico, California).
- Carl Frederick OPPENHEIMER (b. 15 Apr. 1919 Springfield, Mass.,
d. 1 Nov. 1972) married Margaret Gottschalk TRURAN
(Margo LOCKE) (b. 7 Mar. 1919 Stockbridge, Mass.)
- Susan D. OPPENHEIMER (b. 24 Nov. 1946 Sacramento, California,
d. 18 May 2006 Stockbridge, Mass.)
- Margaret L. OPPENHEIMER (b. 27 Feb. 1945 Monterey, California)
married Peter ANGELINI.
Children: Peter ANGELINI, Junior (b. 4 Nov. 1966) and
Michael T. ANGELINI (b. 27 Apr. 1971)
- Four more children OPPENHEIMER
Thanks to Renate McVITTIE
Red at McVittie.com and Eric HOFFMAN email@example.com
for information on this branch of the family tree. Eric HOFFMAN is writing a biograph of the poet George OPPEN.
Daniel E. LOEB, eMail: