Henry OPPENHEIMER (b. 9 November 1836 U.S.A., see Renate McVITTIE for birth registration, d. 1911).
Henry married (4 July 1860) his cousin Rebecca OPPENHEIMER
(b. 10 July 1839). Henry was a jeweler,
watchmaker, founder of the American Watch Case Co. (AWCCO),
located on 23rd Street in Manhattan, and "real
estate operator." Henry and Rebecca had seven children:In 1896,
Henry bought a big burial plot for his family for $750 (Salem Fields Cem., Brooklyn).
-  Zacharias H. OPPENHEIMER (b. 5 May 1861 Illinois, d. 3 Sep. 1926), jeweler, pawnbroker.
Zacharias married (30 April 1889)
Martha L. ROSENTHAL (b. 19 October 1868 Illinois, d. 1946 or 1947).
(cf. US 1900 cendex, soudex index NARA film T1062 roll 516)
They lived at 15 Maiden Lane, New York City.
He may have owned a pawnshop in Harlem. In 1907, they lived at 1211 Madison Avenue, New York.
- baby, died
-  Louise OPPENHEIMER (b. 13 Oct. 1893 NY, d. 20 March 1979) married (4 Sep. 1916)
Arthur J. SLOSS (b. 18 Nov. 1882 or 1887 Missouri, d. April 1973).
Arthur ran American Sponge & Chamois Co., Puro Water in Long Island City.
- Son with 2 children. 4 grandchildren.
- Daughter with 3 children.
-  Arthur Washington OPPENHEIMER (b. 22 February 1890 Illinois, d. 14 Nov. 1957
New York City while attending a party).
Middle name Washington since he was born on Pres. George WASHINGTON's birthday.
Jeweler and Watchmaker in New York City from 1920 to 1949. Worked for American Watch Case Co. 1915-1932.
Arthur married Ruth BRUCKHEIMER (d. 1960) daughter of Marcus BRUCKHEIMER and Lille WERTHEIMER,
and sister of Milton and Sadie.
Contact: Jeff HERBST for information
on the BRUCKHEIMER family.
Ruth got a job selling real estate during the Depression, at a time when most "good" women did
not work, but had to. (Today of course there's nothing particularly unusual about ladies selling realty, but back then, I am told it was almost
scandalous.) She liked meeting people and had a knack for discovering relatives and friends of friends. When she and Arthur retired to
Hollywood, Florida in 1952 or 53, the family figured, that would end Ruth's socializing. Wrong! She just met all the retired relatives and friends
who had likewise gone down to Florida! (Among them cousins Julius and Elsa OPPENHEIMER and Paul ADELUNG.)
-  Janet Marian OPPENHEIMER
(b. 18 Oct. 1916 New York City, NY,
d. 30 March 2003 White Plains, NY,
buried in family plot Salem Fields Cemetery,
Janet married (March 1948)
Otto Frank FREEDNER
(b. 7 Dec. 1900 Vienna, d. 18 July 1964 Washington DC, buried Hollywood, Florida).
Otto studied in Charlottenberg, Austria,
and worked as a heating equipment engineer.
(born FRIEDNER he changed the spelling, some time after arriving in the US, so it could be pronounced phonetically.)
- James H. Eric FREEDNER
Freedner at sbcglobal.net
married (15 Feb. 2003)
Francia Moncada MEJIA.
(Eric was elected 2003 Retail Business Representative
of his neighborhood council in Los Angeles
with over 95.7% of the vote.)
Thanks to Eric FREEDNER for information on this branch
of the family tree.
-  Henry Arthur OPPENHEIMER
(b. 5 June 1921 New York City,
d. 28 Mar. [or 29 May]
1991 Pittsfield, MA,
buried Becket Municipal Cemetery
near Otis, Mass.)
credit manager, accountant and
auditor. Henry married (20 June 1948)
Betty TROEDER .
They have 3 sons, and 8 grandchildren.
-  Henriette/Henrietta OPPENHEIMER
(b. 28 Aug. 1862 Illinois,
d. 1896 in childbirth).
She was named after her father Henry OPPENHEIMER.
FREEDNER thinks her demise prompted Henry to buy the burial plot.
Henrietta m. (14 Feb. 1882) Moses WEIS (b. 27 Aug. 1851) son of Samuel
WEIS son of David WEIS son of Baruch WEIS (formerly Baruch LEVI).
Moses remarried another cousin OPPENHEIMER who also died in childbirth.
Moses then remarried Carrie HEIDEN (no children).
-  Walter Moses WEIS (b. 28 or 29 Feb. 1892, d. 1978)
married (16 May 1915) May Sylvia HESSBERG
(b. 16 Dec. 1892, d. 1983).
May became an non-governmental organization representative when it opened at Lake Success
- Henry Walter WEIS (b. 18 June 1916 New York City).
Married (3 Sep. 1942) Catherine DEENY,
divorced in late 1960s.
- Edward Henry WEIS (b. 20 May 1945)
married Germaine but separated.
Adopted daughter Holly WEISS killed
in accident as teenager.
- Dorothy (Dotti) WEIS
(b. 23 May 1948) m. Mike, divorced
She remarried Brian VURA.
Their names are now hyphenated VURA-WEIS.
Children: Joshua VURA-WEIS and
Lisa VURA-WEIS (b. 1982).
- Robert (Bob) Walter WEIS
(b. 9 July 1920 New York City, d. 21 Nov. 1981)
married right out of the service,
re-entered the service and divorced. No children.
However, he adopted the name of his first wife and became
Robert Walter BANKS. On duty in Scotland,
he married (1960) Carolyn Violet McCLURE
with whom he had three children:
Carolyn is now married to Sid SMITH.
- Heather BANKS (b. 29 Feb. 1964 leap day)
m. (1 Sep. 1991 California) Rick BLACKBURN.
Daughter: Lindsey Hamilotn BLACKBURN.
They live in North Caroline.
- Douglass Robert BANKS (b. 8 Dec. 1965) m. (18 Aug. 1990 California)
Lisa Gaye SULLIVAN. Children:
Logan BANKS (b. 1992), Wilem BANKS (b. 1996), and a third child.
They live in Santa Cruz area.
- Catriona BANKS m. (11 Nov. 2003) Sean or Shawn ORESCO.
They live Nipomo Beach. They have three children.
She has an on-line business of clothes for childbearers
and is very successful.
Leonard WEIS (b. 23 June 1923 New York City,
3 May 2011, Wisconsin)
Married (18 June 1955 Minneapolis) Donna HOYER
descendant of Swedish immigrant
John HOYER from Sweden and Sylvinia WAHL from Norway.
Len graduated from Riverdale Ethical Culture High School in New York in 1940.
from Harvard University with a degree in Geology in 1943.
During his time at Harvard, he was active in folk dancing and folk music.
He was also a member of the volunteer ski patrol. He graduated from MIT with a
masters in Meteorology. During this time, he contributed to the war effort by
training Navy personnel in meteorology. He received his PhD in Geology in 1965.
His focus was Pre-Cambrian geology, with an emphasis on anorthosite—a.k.a. moon
rocks. He taught geology at the University of Rhode Island, Coe College,
Lawrence University, and, from 1965 until his retirement in 1988, at the
University of Wisconsin Fox Valley.
Donna lives in Wisconsin.
- Elizabeth Donna (Becky) WEIS (b. 13 June 1958),
ethnomusicologist, married (14 Aug. 1998 Minneapolis) Garry NORD.
Garry is # 2 in a firm that transports people with disabilities
in the Twin Cities area. There are two firms that split the work.
He has about 200 or more drivers and all the dispatchers to
supervise, train, hire, fire, and check on.
Daughter: Sylvina Tyra NORD (b. 23 May 2000)
- Stephen Leonard WEIS (b. 9 Oct. 1960) firstname.lastname@example.org
m. (29 Oct. 1988 Appleton, WI)
Rachel SHANNON. Stephen is a computer specialist at Kimberly Clark.
Rachel is a piano technician and tuner.
-  Otto H. OPPENHEIMER (b. 20 July 1864 Illinois) married May. Lived in Chicago.
Children: Mildred OPPENHEIMER (m.), Helen OPPENHEIEMR (m.), and Everett OPPENHEIMER.
- Louisa OPPENHEIMER (b. 20 Mar. 1867, d. 23 Jan. 1874)
-  Eugene H. OPPENHEIMER (b. 4 Jan. 1871 Baden, d. about 1935) m. Beta. Lived in Chicago.
Children: Hans OPPENHEIMER, Fred OPPENHEIMER, Litta OPPENHEIMER and Klaus OPPENHEIMER.
-  Paul H. OPPENHEIMER (b. 12 Mar. 1872 Baden). He was a pawnbroker. In 1911, he lived on Spruce Street in New York City.
Married Birdie HIRSCH.
-  Edna OPPENHEIMER (b. 1902) married James S. HAGENBACHER. They were engaged November 1923 New York.
-  Jane HAGENBACHER
married Edward BECK. One daughter. One granddaughter.
- Paul OPPENHEIMER, Jr. (b. 24 Oct. 1909, d. about 1990) married Marion FISCHER (d. about 1985).
Spent last years in Huntington
-  Alma OPPENHEIMER (b. 30 Jan. 1880 Illinois, d. 10 June 1927) married Louis Washington RICE (b. 22 Feb. 18972 Germany, d. 9 Jan. 1933)
manufacturer of silverware.
-  Anita RICE (b. 6 Dec. 1902 NY, d. 14 Oct. 1973) married (23 June 1926) Joseph Alfred DESPRES (b. 14 Apr. 1901, d. 13 Nov. 1968)
-  Nancy DESPRES married (1 Nov. 1969)
David Walther HALL.
- Jonathan Despres HALL married Kathryn PHELPS.
Daughters: Katelyn Alissa HALL
and Grace HALL.
- Alison Joan HALL
-  Joan Alma DESPRES (d. Jan. 2009) married (9 June 1953)
Kenneth Thomas OVERMAN.
- Nancy Ann OVERMAN (b. 1957) email@example.com married Elliott David EDER.
Children: Jacob Ray EDER and Clara (Claire) Overman EDER
(named after the paternal grandmother). Thanks to Nancy
for information on this branch of the family tree.
- Alan OVERMAN (b. 1959) married Nancy BOS.
Children: Lucas OVERMAN and Kelsey Walker OVERMAN.
- Jeffrey OVERMAN (b. 1963)
-  Margaret RICE (b. 15 Feb. 1910, d. 2 Nov. 1995) first married (23 Nov. 1932)
Leo RICH (b. 21 Nov. 1901, d. 23 Apr. 1966).
- Ken RICH firstname.lastname@example.org married
Deborah PALMER. Children: Andrew Palmer RICH and Stephanie Palmer RICH.
- Steve RICH email@example.com
J. Eric FREEDNER
Freedner at sbcglobal.net
for information on this branch of the family tree.
Daniel E. LOEB, eMail: