See index for other COHEN families.
Samuel COHEN-SCALI (le maitre Samuel)
son of Isaac
was the jewler of the Sultan Moulay HASSAN I of
Morocco (reigned 1873-1894).
The Sultan sent him to study diamond cutting in Paris towards the end of the 19th century so that
he could engrave the name of Allah on the
Their family home was built during his
stay in France.
His private jewelry store was looted and burnt during the 1912 pogroms,
he lost his will to live
and died shortly thereafter.
Samuel's wife may have been named Esther (given the
many granddaughters named Esther).
The Sultan lent the royal jewels to Samuel's wife during a difficult
They had three sons and two daughters.
- Messaouda COHEN-SCALI (b. 1869 Fez, d. 1971 Jerusalem) married
Proud, fashionable, authoritarian woman. Their children live in the Beersheva area.
- Meriam COHEN-SCALI married
Sadoun. They had many children.
- Isaac COHEN-SCALI
- Menahem COHEN-SCALI. Menahem was a
cultured man. He enjoyed music and poetry.
As a businessman he had his ups and down,
sometimes extremely rich, sometime somewhat
- Samuel COHEN-SCALI (d. near Lille in car accident)
- Jacques COHEN-SCALI, Owned appliance store in Marseilles with
- Moïse COHEN-SCALI (b. 1886) [photo]
Daniel E. LOEB,