Moses OPPENHEIMER was the son of
Jacob (Jekuf) OPPENHEIMER and Böhle ?? from König im Odenwald (Hesse-Darmstadt).
Rosina WACHENHEIMER (b. 1818)
Benjamin Simon OPPENHEIMER (b. and d. in König) married
(from Mürfelden (GROSS-Gerau))
sister of Leopold ADLER.
Here is an advertisement he published on July 23, 1900 to rent apartments and rooms in his house.
Translation: HEALTH RESORT
Note: “Odenwald" is a low mountain range between the States of “Hessen” (where Bad Nauheim is)
KÖNIG in the Odenwald
In my beautifully located House, with a huge porch and bathing facility, finely furnished apartments
and single rooms with a strictly Kosher guesthouse can be rented immediately
or by August 1st at a low price.
Upper-Inspector: B.S. Oppenheimer.
To the right is Benjamin Simon OPPENHIMER's obituary, published 13 Aug. 1908 in "The Israelite."
Translation: König in the Odenwald, 5 Aug. 1908 just before the fast of Tisha b'Av, Benjamin Simon OPPENHEIMER,
a well-known and popular man in this region, died here at the age of 70 years.
His death means a great loss not only for the local Jewish community, but also for the whole town.
Since four decades he led the Shabbat study sessions through his learned lectures and his influence was known widely;
as a true peacemaker he intervened all the time in a helping and mediating way.
With a lot of attendance both the Jewish and the Christian population, clubs and corporations, he was laid to rest.
May his soul be bound up in the bond of life.
was published on his first Jahrzeit in "The Israelite" (5 Aug. 1909):
Translation: König, 28 July 1909. On the 7th of Av, it was one year that the scholar
Rabbi Benjamin Simon Oppenheimer from König in Odenwald was called home.
For this occasion at the cemetery, Mr. Teacher Fröhlich from Michelstadt painted a true life picture of this brave man
of blessed memory. His parting from the community still is perceived so much painful in these days, since such Jews,
who in fear and in joy are always in service of G-d, unfortunately are very rare around here, too.
His remembrance lives on in honor and to encourage good, in the hearts of all those who were close to him.
In filial reverence the son Julius Oppenheimer and his wife from San Salvador
donated an eternal light for the Synagogue of König on the occasion of the first Jahrzeit.
- Minna OPPENHEIMER,
(b. 16 April 1867 König (nowadays Bad König) im Odenwald, d. 26 August 1926 Frankfurt).
Married Nathan DANNENBERG
- Julius OPPENHEIMER (b. 6 Oct. 1873 König,
d. 6 Oct. 1938 San Francisco,
California, buried 11 Oct. 1938 Cypress Lawn, 1545 Divisadero St., San Francisco)
Viola Ruth OLCHOVICH (BARUCH) (b. San Salvador, El Salvador).
They lived in San Francisco, California and made their fortune
from a Brazilian coffee plantation.
Julius and Viola's brother Josef Olchovich founded Casa Benny
(an import/export business
based in San Salvador, Central America
which became one of the most important Jewish owned institutions in El Salvador).
They emigrated from El Salvador to the US during the early 1920s.
- Arthur OPPENHEIMER
- Isaac OPPENHEIMER
- Elsa OPPENHEIMER
- Wilhelm OPPENHEIMER as a teenager traveled to San Salvador with his older brother Julius.
He got involved with another teenager Domitila MELGAR and had two children out of wedlock.
She claimed that the family sent Wilhelm back to Germany (1914 or 1915) to break the teenage infatuation with her.
He never returned.
On Julius OPPENHEIMER's death certificate,
Arthur, Isaac and Elsa are listed as siblings but Minna and Wilhelm are not.
- daughter (d. as a toddler)
- Guillermo (Wilhelm in Spanish) Roberto Melgar OPPENHEIMER was supported financially until adulthood by
his uncle Julius OPPENHEIMER, who tried to convince him to go to the US with him - which he never did.
He became a devout evangelical Christian. Guillermo married Lucila MARTINEZ
- Guillermo Roberto MELGAR married Gloria RECINOS (b. 19 Apr. 1955 Texas).
He immigrated to San Francisco in 1981 fleeing the civil war
in El Salvador.
Guillermo married Myrna LOPEZ.
- Myrna MELGAR email@example.com. Thanks to Myrna for information about this branch of the
- Claudia MELGAR married Marcio QUINTANA.
- Dr. Carlos MELGAR (d. 2006) ear surgeon, head of Department of Surgery at the
Hospital Rosalies, San Salvador, El Salvador.
- Dr. Rodrigo MELGAR, surgeon
- Laura Melgar
- Valeria MELGAR
- Jaime MELGAR (d. 1980, buried Cypress Lawn, 1545 Divisadero St., San Francisco) married Nora.
Immigrated to San Francisco in 1977 to free civil war in El Salvador.
- Oscar MELGAR converted back to Judaism early.
Oscar is married to Margarita MEARDI and they are both very involved in the Synagogue in San Salvador.
His children and grandchildren are observant.
- Karla MELGAR
- Juan MELGAR. Children: Jacobo MELGAR, Andrea MELGAR, Raquel MELGAR
and Camila MELGAR.
- Rebecca MELGAR
- Bonnette OPPENHEIMER married Leopold ADLER
brother of Jeanette.
Moses OPPENHEIMER remarried
Mina MUHR (b. 1816, d. 28 Apr. 1849 Konig im Odenwald, Germany)
daughter of Raphael MUHR and Babette STERN.
- Seligmann Isak OPPENHEIMER
- Minna OPPENHEIMER (b. 15 Aug. 1880 Frankfurt am Main, Germany,
d. 1957 New York, NY) m. Herman GLAUBERG.
- Martha GLAUBERG
- Clara GLAUBERG (b. 1898, d. 1989)
m. Bernhard BECHHOFER.
- Walter BECHHOFER
- Ernst David BECHHOFER (b. 18 Oct. 1933)
m. Edna LANDAU.
- Yochanan Meir BECHHOFER
- Ariella Tamar BECHHOFER
- Yosef Gavriel (Robbie) BECHHOFER
(b. 14 Feb. 1962 New York, NY)
m. Shani SCHREIBER.
Children: Meira BECHHOFER,
Daniel Yerucham BECHHOFER,
and Noam BECHHOFER.
- Shoshanah Rachel BECHHOFER
- Fred BECHHOFER
- Jerry G. BECHHOFER
- Sonya BECHHOFER
- Ilse GLAUBERG
- Nelly GLAUBERG
- Johanna GLAUBERG
- Carmen GLAUBERG
- Rosette OPPENHEIMER
- Jacob OPPENHEIMER (b. 1874, d. 1942) m.
Dorothea Devorah JAPHET.
- Fritz Isak OPPENHEIMER (b. 1907, d. 1972) m. Miriam Kahan SCHUFFTAN (b. 1913, d. 1985)
- Hans Yisrael Israel OPPENHEIMER m. Channa HAYMAN-EMERICH (b. around 1903, d. around 1986)
- Erika (Ester) OPPENHEIMER m. Isaac (Yitzchak) Justin KLEIN-KALI
- Clem OPPENHEIMER
- Siegfried OPPENHEIMER
- Margaret OPPENHEIMER (b. 1910, d. 2011)
married Shalom Abraham STRAUSS.
She also married Meir STEINHARTER (b. around 1912, d. 2011)
- Samson Yitzchak OPPENHEIMER (b. 1911, d. 1961) m. Racheli
- Helene OPPENHEIMER (b. 1914) m. Hans ROSENFELD (b. 1908)
- Paul Moshe OPPENHEIMER (b. 1916) m. Jeanette and Rachel.
- Armand Marcel OPPENHEIEMER (b. 1912, d. 1968) m. Elizabeth
- Ruth OPPENHEIMER
married her cousin Siegfried SCHONWETTER/FAIRWEATHER.
- Margaret OPPENHEIMER m. Adolf STRAUSS.
- Clothilde OPPENHEIMER m. Raphael (Rafael, Ralph) PLATO
- Fred PLATO (b. around 1916, d. 1998) m. Jean COHEN
- Manny (Seligman) PLATO (b. 1912) m. Gladys STONE
- Jack PLATO (d. 2006)
- Hirsch PLATO
- Leopold OPPENHEIMER (d. around 1921) m. Adelheid SCHMIDT.
- Edith OPPENHEIMER
- Therese OPPENHEIMER m. PAPIER.
- Betty OPPENHEIMER (b. around 1880, d. 1973) m. Benjamin SCHONWETTER (d. around 1933).
Changed name to FAIRWEATHER.
- Hugo OPPENHEIMER (b. 1876, d. 1943) m.
m. Florence (Flora) ROSENSTOCK
- Felix OPPENHEIMER (b. 1922, d. 2001)
m. Florence WEDNER.
- Sally (Shlomo) Wilhelm (Ze'ev) OPPENHEIMER
(b. 2 Oct. 1886, d. 3 Feb. 1943 Auschwitz) married
Lotte Salome Lewenberg (b. 27 Apr. 1894,
d. 3 Feb. 1943 Auschwitz). Deported by the 28 transport to
Rita Regina OPPENHEIMER
(b. 19 Apr. 1921 Berlin, d. 17 Nov. 2006 Haifa)
Yechmiel GELMAN (b. around 1915 Trochenbrod,
d. 26 Oct. 1989 Israel). Four children.
- Jonny Nobert Nathan OPPENHEIMER married Gunnie (b. 1925, d. 2008)
- Judith OPPENHEIMER m. Mats LARSSON (b. 1954, d. 2004)
- Leona OPPENHEIMER m. Tommy OPPENHEIMER
- Ernst David Leopold OPPENHEIMER (b. 25 Dec. 1925) married Sarah Kertzner.
They live in Israel.
- Ze'ev OPPENHEIMER married Iris
- Sholamit OPPENHEIMER married Ilan BARAM
- Bertha OPPENHEIMER (b. around 1882, d. 1942)
married Baruch Chaim DUNNER (b. 1875).
- Nathan OPPENHEIMER
- Rosette OPPENHEIMER (b. 1881, d. 1949) m. Leon Fernand (Yehuda) KAHN (b. 1870, d. 1921)
- Else/Elisa KAHN m. Abraham SCHIJVESCHUURDER (b. 1898, d. 1944)
- Paul KAHN (b. 1910, d. 1974) m. Irma Mirjam GOLDSCHMIDT (b. 1911, d. 1994)
- Martha KAHN (b. 1908, d. 1994) m. Ernst STERN (b. 1908, d. 1987)